Need help making a fan switch

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Need help making a fan switch

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:37 am

Hi all,

I need pointers on how to make a fan switch that will allow me to run the fans on low to cool the car down between runs. Ideas ?

UTA

sps20racer
1GN Registrant

Post by sps20racer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:06 pm

I think if you go to hook up a seperate fan switch to run constantly you would lose the function of it coming on automatically. The fans run on a relay which I am unsure of the amps that the fan motors need to run. What year is your neon again?

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:33 pm

It'a 97. I just asked because I though it would have been a nice feature for drag racing.

UTA

sps20racer
1GN Registrant

Post by sps20racer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 pm

If im correct your relay is down below your driver side head light. Im not sure if this is different in euro models. I think I came up with a way to do it without loosing the automatic function. Run a power wire to a switch. Remember to put an inline fuse if you are running it through the fire wall. Run another wire from the switch to a lt green wire that hooks to your fan motors. It is probably that color before you come to the radiator fans harness(the y connection to both fans). Use a wire tap dont cut the lt green wire. Hope this works for you. Im going to try it on my car cuz I have been meaning to do the same thing.

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:35 pm

don't know if this is any good but seems like it'd work

stole from saturnfans.com

wait I was on a saturn site eewww.......
NOTE: This WILL NOT fix a fan that is actually BROKEN or otherwise completely non-functional. It WILL give you the option of turn on the raditor fan when YOU want to without affecting normal fan operation.

SUPPLIES
1 Automotive type switch your choice of style
About 4 feet or so of 20 guage wire (speaker wire will do)
1 Automotive test light

Remove the cover on the underhood fuse box and locate the relay labeled "FAN"

Pull up on this relay enough to access the metal contacts sticking down from the bottom of it but DO NOT remove it.

Connect the clip of your test light to GROUND

Probe each of the still connected relay contacts with the test light probe. Eventually you will find one that makes the relay CLICK and the fan come on when touched. Make note of which one it is.

Run a wire from where you want your switch to be to the relay you just tested. Remove the relay and insert the wire into the socket below the relay pin that "clicked" when you tested it. Now reinstalll the relay so that it wedges the wire inplace firmly in that socket with the relay installed. Test your connection by GROUNDING the other end of the wire. If all is well, the fan will come on.

Install your switch where you would like it. Attach the wire to the relay to one side of the switch and a wire to GROUND to the other side of the switch. With the switch "ON" the fan should now run.

IMPORTANT NOTES: This modification will NOT AFFECT "normal" fan operation. (It will still work "automatically" as before but you will also have manual control) This modification supplies GROUND to the OEM fan relay trip used by the PCM and does NOT require any additional fusing. This will activate the radiator cooling fan with the key on or off! On SOME Saturns, this will set an SES light if used with the engine running. FEAR NOT! This is harmless to the PCM and the SES light will go back OFF within a few secs/minutes of turning your manual fan switch back off. (It is just the PCM "seeing" the fan on when it does not "think" it should be)

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:34 pm

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:23 pm

if you use that method wire in a relay or you could set your self up fo a car b que :lol:

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:21 am

Ooooooh, my head ! I thought it was going to be a 5 minute thing but now it seems more complicated than when I wired the immobilizer on my EJ8. Rhaa !

UTA