alternator regulator

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

alternator regulator

Post by pHrEaK » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Just a quick question. Where is the alternator regulator on our cars? Is it built into the alternator, or is it it's own part that can be replaced? The reason I ask is because my alternator is overcharging my battery, which is brand new. It's also been causing my headlights to flicker.

wicked93gs
1GN Registrant

Post by wicked93gs » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 am

its inside the computer...you'll have to replace the ECU(or get it fixed possibly) another possibility is to retrofit another alternator thats internally regulated into the neon(I use a modified dodge colt alternator because I use MS and have no stock computer at all)

infil

Post by infil » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:06 pm

make sure you dont have a bad connection somewhere. weak connection or poor connection will cause the alternator to work its ass off charging.

Could also be internal problem inthe alternator keeping hte field coil engaged.
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Went to O'Reilys today and had the alternator tested. I don't know why though, because they never tell you anything you don't already know. The guy hooked up the tool to my battery and said...yep your batteries overcharging....when you could tell that by the residue on the lid of the battery. Then i get told that i need a new alternator because the regulator is built into it.... :roll:

infil

Post by infil » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:36 am

the regulator itself is in the alternator, the computer controls the regulator. FWIW in the 8 neons i'e owned, i've never seen a charging problem that was PCM related, always been either alternator or wiring between the battery and alternator.
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

wicked93gs
1GN Registrant

Post by wicked93gs » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:31 am

thats true, I've never had a PCM fail either in the 4 neons I've owned...doesnt mean it cant happen though...did you pull the alternator itself and have it tested? or did they just hook up a glorified voltmeter?

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:40 pm

voltmeter

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:07 pm

I'll be taking the alternator off Tuesday and taking it to be rebuilt on Wednesday,(if i can't get it off fast enough on Tuesday after I get home). I figure that if it's a problem with the alternator, then they'll be able to tell, and if there's not then the problem would lie within the pcm...can't wait to find out.

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:10 am

Took the ol' alternator to a guy that's been rebuilding them for
~ fifty-years. He told me that the regulator on the 98's are in the computer. He tore it apart and showed me were it would be in the alternator if they still placed them in them. But he said my alternator's fine, and that the ground that i replaced prolly fixed the problem. If not then the voltage regulator in the computer is toasted :wink:
I'll drive it around for a while and see what happens. :D

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:54 pm

i know this is an old topic and it was started by some one else, but im having this same problem. When the car is running it's overcharging and some times it goes to 19.5 volts. I bought a rebuilt altinator and I got another pcm for free at a junk yard, so it must be the wiring. I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram they could send me. All i know is that there are 2 wires coming out of the altinator, a dark green wire and a dark green and orange. (As you can see from my signature picture, i have a 1st gen neon Haynes repair manual on my dash lol. no full diagram there :( )
My car:
1998 Plymouth Neon EX 2-door coupe DOHC 5-speed with Cruise Control
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.