Vinny's Neon search thread - thanks!

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
Vinny
Administrator

Vinny's Neon search thread - thanks!

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:20 am

ok I'll be as brief as possible, I found a Neon on craigslist here in town, '97 highline sedan, SOHC/5sp, light iris, 116k miles, clean body/interior/trunk, new tires, drives straight and runs strong, it's supposedly a "florida car". It's at a podunk dealer and they want $1500, he claims to be pretty firm on that.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/1239396931.html

here's the thing: On the way there I stopped at a dealer I thought was the place, but it wasn't. They said the place I was looking for was up the road, but that I should be careful that that the owner had just got out of jail and stuff, that it had been on the news, but he wouldn't say if it was related to his business. After I get home a little google search reveals this:

http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=10507946

Yup, that's the guy.

Now..... this '97 SOHC highline with only AC and defrost for options had an 8k tach cluster! Something seem wrong here? None of my highlines have had a stock tach period, let alone an 8k. The car appears to be bone stock with no sign of any mods, it does not appear to have been enthusiast owned.

BUT, the car is damn clean in and out, even the trunk carpets were nice like the taillights never leaked, in all honesty it looks more like a decently-kept 90k mile car than 116k. The only real things wrong with it is a tiny bit of rust along the lower window trim on a back door (with some stained paint below it), a rattling PS pulley, the AC needs recharged, and I had kinda hoped to get a car with cruise and maybe some other options. I wonder if the car was hit on the drivers side, there is a strange discoloration on the black edge of the windshield glass and the drivers door latch and striker don't seem to quite line up, but there's no blatant evidence of paint work.

Anyone able to access any history reports for that type of thing? *wink/nudge* VIN is 3B3ES47C0VT522212

What do you think?
Last edited by Vinny on Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Doug95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Doug95neon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:23 am

I'd pass on this one. He's already being charged with fraud and not just one felony but seven. That's not an "Oops, I made a mistake and happened to get caught on my very first screw up." That's BIG.

Most of us are pretty savvy by now with neons but some of the stuff shady dealers cover up aren't worth getting involved in. If the car's been flooded then you won't know until you start pulling carpet and looking at electrical connectors and the modules they go in to. If it's been smacked a body shop can do some tricky work but you won't know until you put it on a lift or an alignment rack.

Find another car from a more reputable source, it's not worth buying a $1500 and having to spend double that to make it safe/dependable.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I HAVE to be right.

My Project thread: Here

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 am

Two things are keeping me from completely walking away from this: 1. my current 190k '95 daily is not in good shape, to the point where it barely made it home last night running on 3 cylinders, and 2. clean mtx 1st gens are extremely hard to find in this area, this is the only one I have found within 2 hours of here in weeks of searching.

If I was to proceed, it would not be without running a carfax first.

Conflicted.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:48 am

I have a a 98 MTX SOHC sitting it in my driveway that I need to get rid of. Thats probably a 5 or 6 hr drive though.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 am

Yeah all the good cars I find for sale on the net are far away, 1st gen Neons did not sell well here for some reason. I simply don't have the free time to drive far out for one.

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:41 am

I'd definitely pass on that one Vin. I watch craigslist like a hawk damn near every day and search for Neons (even though I DO NOT NEED MORE NEON) and I have found a lot better deals than that. They seem to be on the Columbus section a lot more than the Cinci section. If the distance is a bit much, you can always ask the seller to do some driving towards you.

This car has been up for about 2 weeks and the price just keeps dropping. The miles are a little high and it could use some TLC, but it looks like it'd clean up very easily, and it's an R/T coupe.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1239635117.html

Are you against getting a 2nd gen? I've seen a few of those in your price range. Most have been automatics though.
2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - CAI, MAF, Exhaust, Pulley, and tune

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:10 pm

I've seen that RT, the miles are way too high (trying to stay below 120k) and it isn't as nice as I would like. I'd rather have a cleaner non-RT.

I have found two other cars local, but they are both red. I hate red cars (for my own cars - no offense flame red peeps) and absolutely refuse to own two at the same time. I also found a GORGEOUS platinum '98 highline coupe with '90k in Indy, you could eat off the motor, like if I was going to BUILD a Neon this would be my dream as a starting point, but they are asking almost $3k and I want a sedan.

No 2nd gens for me, I mean I'd consider an SRT but I don't want a car payment.

How would you all feel if a Carfax came up that the shady dealer car was legit?

I need a car ASAP, at this point I cannot depend on my 95. I can work out its problems with a little time, but until then I don't want to rely on it.

This will be my last Neon, they are just way too hard to find anymore.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:13 pm

The platinum coupe I mentioned:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/1241256506.html

Then there's this, but IMO he's asking too much, it's a coupe, and I don't want a tan interior car:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1236310589.html

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Vin, just so you know, sometimes a stock cluster would die and they'd switch it out for a j-yard tach cluster, that happened in my 98. My cluster has 10K more than the car does.

I really like that platinum car, looks exactly like mine did bone stock.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:20 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Vin, just so you know, sometimes a stock cluster would die and they'd switch it out for a j-yard tach cluster, that happened in my 98. My cluster has 10K more than the car does.

That thought has crossed my mind, I've had a couple go out too.

Regardless of the questionable mileage and dealer, the car is clean for the price. In a pinch I can do it, 'ol blue is doing alright for the moment but for how long?

Also the steering wheel felt like it was too low in the light iris car, lower than my other non-tilt wheel neons. Maybe its because the only sedan I've had did have tilt. Just an observation, I didn't really like the position.

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 pm

if you want one from Milwaukee.....I'll be driving up there the 4th of July weekend and could bring ya a car back ;)
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:54 pm

that plat is very clean i like! i say buy the plat! even has a alpine hu :D
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:54 pm

I can't quite afford that platinum car right now, and I kinda need a sedan as much as I would actually prefer a coupe.

The more ads I see for stuff for sale in this region, the better this light iris car at the shady dealer looks. Even without looking at these other cars, nothing I have seen for under $2k has had decent paint at all.

I really need to have something in the next few weeks, I have to drive 4 hrs each way for my pop's 60th.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Pm'ed you some "info" wink wink

Vinny wrote: How would you all feel if a Carfax came up that the shady dealer car was legit?

Even though this is from that guy rolling back odo's ,I would go for it!
The tach may have been a special order or just a goof at the factory. (which was Toluca ,Mexico)
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

suave23
1GN Registrant

Post by suave23 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 am

Don't know how far of a drive it would be and it doesn't say if it's an auto or manual, and it's red, but this sounds like a pretty good car for the money.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1243778001.html
2003 Cobra 10th Anniversary - CAI, MAF, Exhaust, Pulley, and tune