My 96 project

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
mcclunet
1GN Registrant

My 96 project

Post by mcclunet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:30 am

After hunting for years I finally got my 2Dr neon, I bought this car in NY for $600. I drove it home with the gas tank falling out, and rear break lines smashed shut lol. It didnt even shift correctly for some reason on the drive home, but it was a fun ride. I got this with the idea of swaping in the 5 speed from a old 4 door I got to build a dirt race car out of few years back. So far the progress is not to bad, I got motors and trans out of both cars. The shift linkage and clutch petal. The cruddy thing was they had to different harness, so i had to strip them out as well to use the pcm for my 5 speed. some of the pics suck being i dont have a real camera but will try to find a good way to fix them later.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 am

got some more pics off my phone today.

One junk 2.0 out, rear main seal fell out and it leaked out 5qts of oil in 12 hours 11 of that it sat in the parking lot at work lol.

The 95 I stole the life from.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:34 am

Got some more done lately like,the clutch petal and cable, shift linkage in, wiring harness, and rack out of the other car but them pics will have to wait

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Well this is what i got done today, repainted the motor mounts, installed a new tob in the trans, and put it back on the motor. slid them down into the car and got it 90% done. Got one axle in and got to put a new boot on the other. enjoy i do got a 2.4 i want to swap in after income tax, but for now the 2.0 will do.

lookin good to me.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 am

why is your intake pointing backwards? it really doesnt help much, if at all, by pointing at the exhaust manni.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:39 pm

I just had it sitting their the way it was designed lol, CAI my ass if it is directly above the mani, I am gonna cut it up a bit and put it below the battery box before i put the car on the road. Just a lot to do with the swap being i had to replace 98% of the front end.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Seems like a solid project. You're making big progress on it. Good luck, and hope to see more pictures!

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:12 pm

oh yes I like to take them, got to hear it run last nite for the first time as a 5 speed! Just few other pics i took. Rebuilt the axle worked on the intake a bit. Working 5 tens at work this week so haven't been up to much.

oh the trunk... some dope had the muffler up with wire.. sad but true..

I do have a pan out of a 00 to cover it after i cut out the junk.

Another thing i did shortly after i got it home was put a plastic tank and straps off the parts car, this one had a metal tank. I was kinda shocked, I heard of this but never seen one till this pup and I will call her Meia for meia wants more parts lol.. anyone runnin NGKs, know what i should get....??

sorry pics suck a bit, i will have to buff the front of my phone again ;P

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:32 am

Got started on the body work a bit today, I am fillin in the body line down the doors and fenders. Fixed a dent in the door i forgot to get before pics of that. Also got my oops, I knocked my 2x6 off the roof and got the door post...... ya so fixed that. and yep did some work on m camera so pics should be better when i get them up.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:32 pm

Good looking work.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 am

Thanks I am tryin, I am much better with body work than the rest but nothing i cant deal with. One thin got me stumped is with my speedo with my tac in, you shut the door and the hazard light blinks and makes a funny noise. however it dont do it with the door open lol. I got the air bag out, need to change clock springs maybe that has something to do with it? not exactly sure what i should be looking for with that one any ideas? Got a ton more pics but they will have to wait. Got to take my phone to my dads to put them on my meg stick, he is campin so wont be till monday or some shit.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Update: need the car done like yesterday my DD is about to die a 00 neon lol. was blowin oil out the pressure switch and didnt notice it. needless to say even with 50% oil and 50% lucas it is still knocking not sure how long it will last on the upside tomorrow is my last day for a weeks vacation so should be able to get it ready for work the following week! Pics soon been really busy and havent made it to my dads yet.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 pm

well cant never get to dads when he is home so I got a new card reader today and uploaded some pics...

So should be driving it next week at the latest, got more pics but got to get new tie rods and stuff on and take it down to cut off that shitty rear bumper support and shit before i take off for the day ti do some crap with the girl for the weekend.[/img]

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 am

Got some more pics they are a bit crappy, i need to find my polish again. It is still not done but almost should be ready soon. Took it over to my dad's and replaced the outer tire rods, and got 2 new 205/55/16s and 2 at half tread for $200...Should of been cheaper lol.. but to the pictures.
Hood and trunk primed.
Front bumper
Some Ac orange.... Fucken bugs is all i can say lol. Then to top it off I had my top rite molar cut out on wed so. I mixed up some paint after the dr appointment and just as i start spraying the hood..... a pain from hell so i trashed 1qt of paint. So down to little under half gallon I went out to buy some more to be safe...... No Ac orange at all..... So now i got to respray all of it with one coat of kubota orange lol.
Mite as well throw these up too.

mcclunet
1GN Registrant

Post by mcclunet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Well been bustin my but all day and the results.
ImageImage
Not to bad