95 Base to sport w/ Magnum *Gloria*

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
mopar_country
1GN n00b

95 Base to sport w/ Magnum *Gloria*

Post by mopar_country » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Alright here we go. I had to sell my 2000 neon with full srt4 swap this past summer. Put alot of work into it over the spring, Full mopar lip kit and full R/T leather interior and swapped over power doors, locks and windows. Paint, wheels, tires, headlights, taillights, stereo, etc etc.

And now im back down to this..........I call her Gloria.

95 base. SOHC 5spd, no options....lowest on the totem pole neon.. BUT! A perfect bare platform to start with.

I had the magnum topend and some other stuff off the R/T parts car I had sitting in the shed....PERFECT! now i have a use for it!

So i started removing some crap off the car. Terrible non functioning tach that was screwed to the dash!! WTF!! I liked the 2 tone dash on the early models but this one is destroyed.

So I managed to pick up a whole upper dash section with the vents and the drivers piece as well. Only thing is they are Agate but oh well.

When I was driving out to pick up some parts, I drove past a shop and seen this sitting there neglected!

95 sport coupe. I had a quick look over the car, body is too rusted to restore it. But what a perfect donor car! Rear disc brakes, rear swaybar, sport seats! 3.94 w/.81, 5 lug hubs, early sport wheels! Roof Racks!!! Perfect! Just the look Im going for. Managed to pick the car up for 200 bucks.

So now I have more neon parts coming out of my backside than ever before. A friend got out of neons and gave me a bunch of left over parts he had that he was going to throw out.

So stripping the donor car wont happen until spring. I hate working outside in the cold and im not much of a fan of snow. But whatever small things that can be done inside the house is what I have been picking at.

Heres some pictures of a pair of left over headlights I had. Restored them lastnight and painted the turn signals. Also I am working on a custom grill for the car.

not bad for painting them with a brush

And heres the grill

95 Base neon - New Project.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Holy shit that tan interior is super rare!! And that red base car is bad ass, good Luck with the project.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Echoalpha23
1GN Registrant

Post by Echoalpha23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 pm

HOLY SHIT! why cant i find something like that just driving around?!?

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 am

My car had Tan interior as well.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 am

I stared at a driftwood interior for 4 years in the sport. You see a lot of them in Emerald green pearl cars though.

You might say that thing is rusty, but the hood and the decklid look a lot better than mine was before it got sold. Overall looks clean other than the dent ,the dogleg rust, spot by the tail. But you only know what lurks beneath :D .

Btw, the white car is super nice, bet your sorry to see it leave.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

mopar_country
1GN n00b

Post by mopar_country » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

I hated having to sell the car but it went to a good home. The guy who bought it absolutely loves it. I still keep in touch with him. He plans on painting it black and redoing the suspension this year.

Accually the floor on the parts car is mint, its mostly the dog legs, deck lid and hood that are rotten. Rockers are starting to get ripe BUT! i really dont like doing any type of body repairs. Its too far gone for me, It can be fixed but I dont have the proper place for that. Theres alot of other things on the car that need alot of attention and or replacement. So financially and labour wise I dont feel its worth it.

The tan interior is going up forsale in the spring. Everything except the front sport seats.

Thanks for postin guys! there will be alot more to come.

Matt

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm

i didnt think the driftwood interior was rare. i believe its the chocolate interior that is rare iirc
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the dorito seats are the more rare part, first time i've ever seen them in driftwood.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:59 pm

first time ive seen em too.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

mopar_country
1GN n00b

Post by mopar_country » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Hey guys. Have been picking at a few things lately. Messing around with a spare shifter to turn it into a short throw, kinda based off a maddog but not as aggressive.

Also decided to make solid shifter bushings for it and the cables. I have one finished and installed, the other one next to it for the other side, I just have to finish smoothing it out so it fits better and looks half decent.

Next is a custom C.A.I. I wanna retain a stock/clean look under the hood. As well as leaving the stock battery location. Plans for this are being thought about, trying to figure out the best route.

Matt

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:36 am

for cai I'd suggest a 3.0 intake or iceman style intake....looks clean if done right and keeps the battery in the stock location
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

mopar_country
1GN n00b

Post by mopar_country » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I had a 3.0L intake on my old coupe. Loved the performance of it but didnt really like the loook of it. And an Iceman intake is hard to find around here. Iceman looks nice tho!

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:41 pm

get a no90 intake manifold and then it'll be a little easier to make look clean :)
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8

mopar_country
1GN n00b

Post by mopar_country » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:16 pm

While im planning and fabricating the short throw I decided to paint the letters and "stitching" on the shift knob. Next will be the boot stitching as well.

Heres the stitching.

Heres the numbers and pattern on the knob. I have to put another coat on it as the black is bleeding through the red on the numbers.

Matt.

mopar_country
1GN n00b

Post by mopar_country » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Alright, had some more time tonight so I cleaned up the shift boot and painted the simulated stitching in it as well. Heres a couple of pictures of the knob and boot together.

Matt