Project Slimer, new owner......

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 pm

Well, for the five people still on here, head valve cover, intake, turbofold (minus the turbo) are on. What a pain the fold was to get attached. The far right bolt by the alt bracket was a nightmare to get to. It took me about 5 minutes for the rest, but 10 just for the one. Trying to get at it with a 10mm wrench, a 1/8th of a turn, each time.

Wired in the tps pigtail, put a heat resistant tape on the firewall, few other things, plus the ps feed from the reservoir to the pump, rubs on the timing gears. Zip ties to the rescue, no covers for the fail.

I'll have some out of focus, low res pics tommorrow.

I've been up since 5 a.m. :(
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat May 15, 2010 8:31 pm

All I got to do today was order a set of NGK BKR7ES-11 plugs. CJ in parts ordered them thru Napa and they're comming from Toledo. I'll have them Tuesday.

Our customer appreciaton sale went well today, we sold 7 cars, so the lights will stay on for another week :D
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm

that valve cover looks freaking sexy in that bay! color match looks perfect! good work sir.
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon May 17, 2010 7:10 am

The reason it matches so well was I had some paint left over from when my buddy George painted my bumper and fender. I sprayed it on my balcony with my old Craftsman electric compressor and my airbrush. Then took it to work for him to clear it in the booth. I took my time preping it, so we'll see how long it lasts.

It was done even before I has the important stuff for this build, like the head or the turbo.

By the way, Thanks!!!
Last edited by metal_gear_jon on Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon May 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Well it was raining today, I didn't feel like crawling under the car to work on the downpipe or anything else down there, so I said screw it, let's see if it starts.

I popped the injectors on and the rail, hooked up the push lock line from the stock feed to the rail. Found a junk set of plugs (god knows what they came out of) and tossed them in.

Proceeded to crank and it was slow, real slow, but no crunchy piston to vavle noise ( I did turn the engine over by hand a day before to check ) which was good. Rethinking the whole battery in the trunk idea, now I'm leaning to a bumper location or maybe a motorcycle one.

So, hooked up a jumper box to the positive stud on the PDC and the ground right on the starter bolt, way better but still crank but no start. Hmmmm. Rembered somewhere about if the cam is off a tooth or two or if the magnet is off it will not start, so I unplugged the cam sensor.

After about 4 seconds of cranking it fires, God it was loud, open turbofolds are fun!!! Blipped it a few times to see a ton of black smoke leave the side port on the manifold, 35 lbs hour injectors = sweet! Then remembered I had no coolant in the thing so shut it down after that.

Relooked at my cam gears and it appears that the intake is advanced a tooth. Good thing the cam covers are off.

The only other item that was tended to was clearance of the cam gears. The intake would hit the underhood bracing, so out came the cut off wheel and off came about 4 inches of bracing. The fuel line still rubs on the hood so I need to address that also.

Good day overall, very happy! :D
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

custom95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by custom95neon » Mon May 17, 2010 9:02 pm

looks good, keep up the good work. :thumbright:

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:20 am

sweet looks like taking your time on it helped a lot! :) glad to hear it runs!
got any plans to take it to the track at all?
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu May 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Ladi3sman55 wrote:sweet looks like taking your time on it helped a lot! :) glad to hear it runs!
got any plans to take it to the track at all?

I'm planing to, from seeing other people with similar setups, it should be in the mid 14's, we'll see.

Fixed the timing issue today, but is still will not fire with the cam sensor pluged in. Might fiddle around with the cam magnet, but also could be the fact that the 35lb'ers are in right now.

Removed the converter yesterday and installed the o2 housing and the downpipe.

The fuel tank will be dropped Saturday in the shop to install the new canister, along with routing the return line and finishing the plumbing and the wideband wiring. Also intalling the turbo on the 'fold and drilling the pan for the return. Still have to do my pcv system routing.

Should be running this weekend :?:
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun May 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Well, got the turbo, wideband, oil and coolant lines and a few other things installed Saturday. I decided to install a 2.0 magnet and the car starts up fine now. Neither o2 sensors hooked up, so the pcm is always in open loop mode. I have the stock up stream installed in the o2 housing, but thinking I could just get another downsream and use that instead of lenthening the harness connector. The only code I'm getting is for the egr.

Installed the 3/8's return line (what a pain to bend) and the modded canister. A stock srt pump is inside, with a return barb also.

Started the thing up and was reading in the 10's -11's at idle, so I lowered the fuel pressure down to 10psi. Still reading around high 12's at idle. Discovered of all the spots to leak oil, the drain at the turbo decided to weep. It's not leaking at the pan, where I drilled a big ass hole and installed a bulkhead, but right at the clamp at the drain tube. ( damn used braided hose ) Plus there is a coolant leak, but it is nothing major.

Didn't have a chance to work on the intercooler piping, but did get the bumper and the support off. Parked it out back and left.

Sunday was the day to test how it ran. Wideband still reading in the 12's at idle, but as soon as you try to take off, shoots up 14 -15 - 16 then dead lean and stalls. Adjusted the fuel pressure up to 15psi, drove it arouind the lot just fine. Jumps up to 11's while accelerating, so on the street it went. Took it out a mile or two down the road and back. I see now how fast these TD04's spool. Still leaking at the oil drain, plus now my boost gage is dead. (could be a kinked line) I'm searching for ideas for the intercooler piping on the big .org , also searching for a deal on AN -10 push lock and a 90 degree fitting.

But more important things are my Mom's birthday is in a few days and the series finale of LOST in on tonight.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Wed May 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Realized the plugs on the o2 sensors are slightly different to prevent mix-up's, so I decided to cut the harness and add about 2 feet to it. Now it loops down under the turbofold, almost to the K frame along the steering rack, back up towards the passenger side near the alt. Now the pcm is happy and getting 14.6's to 15.3's at idle. No more gallons per mile!

Started working on the i/c piping, using 2" exhaust to make it happen. Will route the hotside over the transmission to the i/c. then the coldside will go up right to the throttle body.

Current set up is:
Stock 98 Sohc block and bottom end, still could see the factory crosshatching at 138k
Rebuilt 98 Dohc head with mild porting and "stock" cams and valves.
Stock Dohc intake with the TB area "opened up"
SRT turbo with 35k ish on it.
Begi RRFPR with a stock Srt fuel pump in a "Spoolboy modded" style cansiter.
Wired in map clamp.
Ebay downpipe currently running through the factory exhaust, I know, back pressure, but needs to be quiet now.

Let's see how long it lasts.
Last edited by metal_gear_jon on Mon May 31, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun May 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Decided to "jank" up some of the final bits and pieces to get the thing running.

Had a co-worker weld up the hot side pipe. I came in Saturday to finish cutting the bumper support and to weld the cold side. Installed a rubber 90 degree bend from the Home Depot plumbing aisle. Did a really bad job of installing the intercooler to the bumper support. (will make it nice later) Tossed the bumper on and took it for a spin.

Put a few gallons in it at UDF, then drove up the street to the expressway. Went an exit over and back. Well, 4 psi isn't as exciting as I first thought. It's like you notice, but still "seems" slow.
Wideband still pegs full rich while in boost, even with a few turns out of the rate of gain screw. Still need to work on the tune a bit and need to address the following:

Oil drain is still leaking, a drip every few seconds. It is leaking from where the braided line is clamped to the drain tube. Will be switching to push lock as Mobil 1 isn't cheap.

Boost gauge is dead b/c the signal line developed a kink and broke. Sourcing a replacement.

Still need to finish the pcv system. Also need to put some sort of a filter on the compressor inlet.

Would like to upgrade the couplers for the I/C piping and improve the system I'm using the mount the intercooler. It sticks out about an inch from the bottom of the bumper.

I see how much heat the turbofold generates, looking to wrap the back of the coil and the underneath of the ps reservoir with some of that heat tape that is left over.

Don't forget that tommorrow is Memorial Day so thank a Vet!!!
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:45 pm

Pics!!!!!

^^^^^ Where's da intercooler?????^^^^^

Still need to buy/find/make an intake, plus go to Lowes or Fail Depot for some vinyl tubing for the pcv system.

Ordered some 10 an push lock of ebay, along with a new 90 degree for the pan.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:21 am

First off, I am an Idiot.

I ignored the warning my car gave me this morning about the alternator belt.

Second, I traveled more than 20 miles today with no tools in the trunk. Double fail.

It started with a co-worker, Brad and myself ragging on each other's cars. He drives a Trailblazer SS AWD, so the "GM will slap an "SS" badge on anything" came from me. Him with the normal Neon = fail routine. We decided to take it to the track to see who's who. We agreed on Kil-Kare in Xenia. A drive for me, but I have heard great things about the place. I left work at 5, he was slightly behind me. The trip took about an hour to get there, covering 40 or so miles.

Encountered a shower on the way up, but the rain ended by the time I made it to Xenia.
Paid the $15, breezed through tech, (but a poor bastard in a dart pissed oil all over the inspection lane) and then drove to the staging lanes.
A fellow there from Dayton was talking to me about the showers we both encounted on the way, but we hoped the track would allow a few passes. Officials gave the all clear, about a dozen or so got to run. A few mustangs, an Evo, Mazdaspeed 3, GTI, two diesels, and some other misc.

Remember I have ZERO track time. BE prepared! These runs were with almost bald street tires at 6 psi. With a real shitty tune with 10 afr's in boost.

First pass @ 6:18 pm

reaction .6368
60ft 3.4189
330ft 8.1129
1/8ET 11.9342
1/8mph 64.47
1/4ET 18.0101
1/4mph 80.79

^ car bogged real bad at the line, no idea why.

Next run at 6:22pm

reaction .7110
60ft 2.5663
330ft 7.1655
1/8ET 10.8626
1/8mph 66.17
1/4ET 16.9754
1/4mph 78.95

^this is when the alt belt shredded. I heard it and looked under the hood. My focus was on all the oil that was surrounding the compressor inlet. Freaked over that, so ignored looking anywhere else to see where that noise came from. The car still made boost and the oil didn't leak at idle, so I said screw it and continued.

Third run @ 6:30 when my friend arrived with his wife.

reaction .6562
60ft 2.5948
330ft 7.2602
1/8ET 11.0895
1/8mph 64.65
1/4ET 17.0722
1/4mph 82.11

My friend cut a 15.0870 @ 91.61

Fourth and final 6:47pm

reaction .7547
60ft 2.4646
330ft 6.9397
1/8ET 10.5814
1/8mph 67.53
1/4ET 16.3437
1/4mph 85.20

Brad with 15.4113 at 91.04mph

After I got my slip, the battery light came one. Pulled over next to my friend and discovered the remains of the belt coiled under the power steering pump.

The reason I call the co-worker that went from ragging on the neon to a friend is that he called the nearest auto parts place. Remember, this was my first time being in the area, and this was his hometown. Drove me there after dropping the wife at the mother-in-laws place.
By this time, it was storming really bad and the wind was kicking, just plain nasty. Bought the belt, quart of oil, two wrenches, (remember no tools) and almost forgot my credit card.

Arrived back at the track, still storming and now completly empty. Drove the car under an aluminum pole barn that was used to check in cars for the circle track. Cut the power steering belt off (it was chewed up too) and proceded in install the new belt. What a pain, laying on the wet ground and using his blackberry as a flashlight. Of course, it stopped raining when we finally got the belt on. Took the boost controller off, just in case that wanted to screw me too. Thanked him again and left around 8:15.

Babied the car back to work, arrived home at 9:30.

What a clusterfuck. The car performed like crap, I am total shit for a driver, plus I fucked myself earlier. That belt was fraying a little and I ignored it, lazy and stupid. This cost me about $60 figuring gas, tools, track time, and the belt. Sould of fixed it at work for much less.

The only saving grace was Brad helping me out. Thanks again, I owe you lunch.

Comments, suggestions, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so the car will sit until I return. It's like 12:30am now, up since 6am.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

6(sic)6
1GN Registrant

Post by 6(sic)6 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 am

yea 60ft times say u either cant launch, cant get traction or have a serious lack of power.

It improved as you went along so YEA.....you need seat time behind the tree
SuperCharged SOHC http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=
Samu wrote:If you get rid of your 1st gen it will be like the girl that got away. :cry:

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Wow man, your trap speeds need to be higher. Did you ever fix the cam alignment? I think that could be off. How many PSI are you running right now?
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly