The new guys 1998 DOHC Neon EX Coupe

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share.
Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

The new guys 1998 DOHC Neon EX Coupe

Post by Wolfemancola » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:53 pm

well since im new here and ive never really posted pics of my car, i thought i'd share some pictures of it and what has been done to it so far.
so this is my 1998 Plymouth Neon EX 2-door coupe DOHC:
BTW, that is a Mopar decal on the gas cap, it is not a dent ^

Ok, here is where the adventure starts lol. when i bought it, it needed a head gasket replacement so it didnt run too great. then winter came by and the neon got completely covered with snow. in this picture, you can see a lump of snow behined this Dodge van and it's the neon. people would come to my house and ask me what was under the lump of snow and i'd say "it's my car" haha:

After i dug it out, I installed some after market fog lights since this neon EX didnt have any. They are brighter then my high beams:

one of the brake calipers was jammed so when i got the new one, i painted it with some red rust paint to make it look a bit better and and to prevent it from rusting because i live in canada and we get lots of snow in the winter. so here is before:
And here is after the red paint:

needed some new wheel nuts so i got some crome ones:

Then i sanded down most of the bottom of the neon since it was rust covered and I used the rest of the red rust paint from the brakes and painted the bottom of the car red:

replaced the original tape deck with a cheap nextar CD player because the tape deck had problems:

After that i bought some new Pioneer 6.5" door speakers because water got in the doors and the old speakers stopped working. so i used green Duct Tape (Duct Tape fixes every thing lol.) and covered all the holes in the door to prevent water damage as seen in the picture and it worked pretty good so far:

i didn't want the new speakers to be hidden so i made wooden mounts so the speakers would be level with the door panels. Now they can be seen and it also makes a nice tube over the new speakers so no water can get to them:

After itwas installed and the door was put back together again:

later i got this 10 inch Ground Zero anymore (GZ engineering) competition Subwoofer in a sealed box and Kenwood Aplifier all From my grand father for free because he is almost 70 years old anddoesn't really enjoy loud music any more. i know it's bad to mount the amp onto the sub box but the box is a professionally made and it's 3/4 inch wood so it's pretty solid. It fits between the two wheels perfectly and I still have a bit of trunk space to work with:

it has quite a few miles on it. right now there are 230'000 KMs (143'000 miles). i always wondered why the speedometer goes to 160 mph but most neons have a speed limiter at 118 mph lol.

So here is where me and my dad start changing the blown head gasket. here's a picture of my dad grinding off a rusted bolt but i didn't know that, i came out to the garage and here is saying he's "Fixing it" lol:

after we got the head removed, you could see the 4 pistons. the engine looked pretty small then:

Then, when we got the head back from the machine shop from getting cleaned and plained down, we started putting it back together. You can see the difference between the old rusted looking engine block and the newly painted head:

Here's the DOHC engine all back together. it was a lot of work, im glad its done and that my dad is good with cars. He saved me a bunch of money:

after that i painted the letters on the stock air box silver with a silver sharpie and i cut the intake hole bigger to help it get more air. i had to make a bracket to hold it on better with a piece of sheet metal and pop rivets. (I will eventually get a cold air intake when i get some money)

One day, my cousin was backing up his Dodge Ram and he bumped into my neon and left a nasty dent. after pulling it out and applying a bit of body fill, it looked like this:

Later my dad sanded and put layers of body fill then primered it and you cant even tell there was a dent. it still needs paint now:

Now here is what it looks like now, i added this silver pin-stripe and every thing is fixed exept for a over charging problem:

Im sorry for posting so many pictures but i thought maybe some one might have been interested in seeing them. i know the speaker pictures should be posted in the audio section but i was just trying to show all my pics in order, showing almost everything i've done in the past few months. this forum has some very helpful info on it, it's awesome. thanks for your time.
My car:
1998 Plymouth Neon EX 2-door coupe DOHC 5-speed with Cruise Control
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

custom95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by custom95neon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:47 pm

keep up the good work
95 plymouth sohc mtx sport sedan

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:35 pm

I recommend upgrading to a cold air intake, you'll love it.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Ianguilly wrote:I recommend upgrading to a cold air intake, you'll love it.
He lives in Canada, it's all cold air lol
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:10 am

BaLLisTiK wrote:
:lol: Hahaha so true!!

BTW, I love you instrument cluster. I want one lol.

PensacolaRebel
1GN Registrant

Post by PensacolaRebel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 am

Thats a huge pile of snow!
'96 SOHC ATX sedan
'97 SOHC MTX coupe

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:32 pm

2drSRT4 wrote:
BaLLisTiK wrote:

yup, it is pretty much all cold air lol (Usually freezing), except for in the short three months of summer. here in Canada in the summer its acually pretty warm. some times it even gets up to 30 degrees Celsius(almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit).

there's 2 different speedometers for this car here, the one like mine that goes to 160mph and the other one only goes to 120mph. but the biggest problem with my instrument cluster is that there is no RPM guage.
thanks for all the feed back guys.
My car:
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 am

Wolfemancola wrote:
2drSRT4 wrote:
BaLLisTiK wrote:

yup, it is pretty much all cold air lol (Usually freezing), except for in the short three months of summer. here in Canada in the summer its acually pretty warm. some times it even gets up to 30 degrees Celsius(almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit).

there's 2 different speedometers for this car here, the one like mine that goes to 160mph and the other one only goes to 120mph. but the biggest problem with my instrument cluster is that there is no RPM guage.
thanks for all the feed back guys.
If you can find one that goes to 160mph in the junkyard with or without a tach, I will buy it off you. I would prefer with a tach, but beggars can't be choosers.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:54 pm

I need a Tach.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:12 am

BaLLisTiK wrote:I need a Tach.
I can always add one in and hide it somewhere. A big 5" tach would work, just hide it so that people don't call you a ricer.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:47 am

I have a 10k 3.5" sunpro tach. I really like the 160 clusters.

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 am

some of you wanted the Canadian KM's cluster because the speedometer goes to 160mph instead of 120 mph. in a few weeks i might be getting a parts car so i might sell the cluster. here is a picture i took tonight while my friend was driving my neon sinse we made it to 130mph (209km/h). he might have been able to hit 215km/h if we would have had a longer distance and didnt have a slightly bad wheel bearing (dangerous i know but he is stupid and doesn't care) also my window was down. pretty good for a almost stock 98 with 235'000km (146022 miles) i have the mopar pcm so there is no speed limiter :)
My car:

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 pm

I thought the mopar pcm was limited to 130? Ah well doesn't matter. I'm interested in a km/h cluster, and I will be putting my car together again soon =)

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 pm

2drSRT4 wrote:I thought the mopar pcm was limited to 130? Ah well doesn't matter. I'm interested in a km/h cluster, and I will be putting my car together again soon =)
oh maybe it is limited to 130mph... that would explain why it stopped there. ill be going to get my parts car soon, and im not sure if it has a tach or not. ill check
My car:

CgPeon
1GN Registrant

Post by CgPeon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Berry nice!