Autocross intro

For discussion specific to Solo, RallyCross, track events and other forms of racing.
NeonBLK
1GN Registrant

Autocross intro

Post by NeonBLK » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:47 pm

I need a weekend hobby, so I'v been looking into autocross, and I think we should make a thread that is FAQ for autocross for beginners. I already have a copy of the rule book on my computer and have been going through it so. What do I need to know for autocross this year?

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Bump.

I know there are some autocrossers on here.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:
Now you can tell me that I've failed at life, I'm gay, and that my dad should have pulled when he pushed; since you won't be able to think of anything else.

mtownneon
1GN Registrant

Post by mtownneon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:07 am

The best advise I can give you is to just do it. Don't get wrapped up in the details, just go and get seat time, the rest will fall into place as you do it.

You don't need to do anything to the car except make sure it's road worthy. Tech at the site will make sure the brakes work, the wheel bearings aren't loose, and that the car isn't about to barf fluids all over the place.

A Snell rated helmet is required and having your own makes things a little less hectic though most of the time there are loaners available.

Other things to bring would be a good tire pressure gauge and a roll of blue painters tape or such to put your competition number on the car.

Most 'Crossers are more than happy to help new folk so don't be afraid to ask. Some regions like ours, IndyRgion SCCA even have novice programs which are aimed at getting new folk off on the right foot.

Again, just do it.
Indy Region SCCA
#9 ITA Neon Coupe
2009 IndySCCA Assistant Regional Executive and Solo Co-Chair

www.performancedrivenllc.com

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Key points:

Walk and walk again be sure to do the novice walk through and pay close attention at the drivers meeting. Also study the course map you get a regestration

Bring:
Sharpie
Masking tape
Water
Oil
Tire gage
Air tank or pump (if you have one)

Wear:
Long pants
Sneakers
T-Shirt

DRIVE SLOW

LOOK AHEAD
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

NeonBLK
1GN Registrant

Post by NeonBLK » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks for info, how much (general estimate) does a helmet cost?

Mark
1GN n00b

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 pm

We have a novice guide at the Susquehanna Region site. There are more novice links at the bottom. Dress for the weather. If you are using masking tape for numbers, make sure it contrasts with your car color (white tape on dark colors, blue tape on light colors). Make the numbers big. If you can't read it from 100' away, it's to small. Get there early so you have enough time to walk two or three times. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

bone-yard-racing
1GN Registrant

Post by bone-yard-racing » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 pm

NeonBLK wrote:Thanks for info, how much (general estimate) does a helmet cost?
From $69 for a basic open face M2005 to $1000+ for a carbon fiber "look at me in my BMW" closed face SA2005
1996 Dodge Neon sdn: Eugene ACR clone magnifyed... Blown up waiting on a 2.4
1995 Plymouth Sport sdn: Harold DOHC swap FSP/TTE/PTE #327
2004 neon R/T: Bolt on DD

www.boneyardracing.com

sleeper95
1GN Registrant

Post by sleeper95 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:27 am

Really all you need is a car and a helmet. Thats how i started. I ran a bone stock Civic hatch. I know i wasn't the fastest, but i had a good time. Actually i even had to barrow a helmet. But yeah when doing things to your car be sure the things done dont bump you up to a higher class where you wont be as competitive. Thats my problem, with the thigs done to my car i am in a way higher class than i would like to be in. Bass line is just have fun and learn from other racers. More than likely they will be glad to help someone better themselves in the sport.