im baffled

Questions how to improve your 1/8, 1/4, or 60' times or maybe you just want to share you times, post it here.
weatherdan822
1GN n00b

im baffled

Post by weatherdan822 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm

ive been to the drag strip numerous times now, and my best time is only an 18.002...how can i make my car faster? I currently have installed - Iceman intake w/ K&N filter, MSD Ignition coil, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, 10.2mm ignition wires, 16" wheels with 205/45 street tires, and i have an automatic tranny. Ive tried launching it and it works well, but i just seem soo sluggish.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:36 pm

The key is in the trans. Either swap it to a manual or get a RMVB and a good converter in there.

Because the 3 speed doesn't have an OD they had to limit the final drive.

Until you do come worthwhile mods, and no none of the mods you have are worth while except the intake, and do something about the trans your car will still be sluggish.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm

You could probably pick up almost 2 seconds in the quarter by switching to a manual trans. Look for a 3.94 trans and a PT Cruiser clutch. That will get you going in the right direction.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Get rid of those Bosch plugs too.

With an auto trans as mentioned you would need to do a lot to make decent times. Manual swap will be the best bang for your buck since your mods are very minimal at this point.
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am

just out of curiousity, what are your RT's like?
Got Neon?
Vinny wrote: This forum does still serve as a neons.org alternative for times when people get sick of the politics over there and/or want to say piss/fuck/cunt like an adult should be able to.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 am

Reaction times have less to do with quarter mile time than getting pregnant and blowjobs.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Re: im baffled

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:01 am

weatherdan822 wrote:ive been to the drag strip numerous times now, and my best time is only an 18.002...how can i make my car faster? I currently have installed - Iceman intake w/ K&N filter, MSD Ignition coil, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, 10.2mm ignition wires, 16" wheels with 205/45 street tires, and i have an automatic tranny. Ive tried launching it and it works well, but i just seem soo sluggish.
Take off the MSD coil, put in champion plugs, and put on 14" wheels. It'll help your car some, but it wont fix it completely. When was the last time you cleaned your air filter?

Also, you said "launching it". I hope you are not dumping it into drive from neutral. The only way you should launch the car is by stalling it with the foot brake, and then letting off.

Also, SOHC or DOHC?
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

weatherdan822
1GN n00b

Post by weatherdan822 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 am

to answer several questions at once, by launching it...i mean holding it in drive with my feet on the gas and brake then punching the gas and removing the brake at green. My air filter is brand new when i took it to the track. and my RT's are in the .2-.3 average range

99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 am

and thats why i said out of curiousity
Got Neon?
Vinny wrote: This forum does still serve as a neons.org alternative for times when people get sick of the politics over there and/or want to say piss/fuck/cunt like an adult should be able to.

Low-Speed
1GN Registrant

Post by Low-Speed » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:39 pm

R/T makes Zero difference to E.T.
Where you are staged, however, does.
Especially true of a sluggish car, shallow staging the crap out of the car will show significant improvements in E.T. Effectively, increasing the rollout matters more to a slow car, than a fast car, but will always improve the E.T. This is accomplished, for those who don't know, by barely triggering the second staging light. Roll in deep, and you can cut off the 1st staging light.

As for the car, most large aftermarket wires are hurting your performance. I would highly recommend you run stock wires, or Magnecor wires, and stock plugs. Bosch, in particular, makes horrible spark plugs. Stock Champions are cheap, and work well. I feel any of the iridium plugs are better, but that's a personal preference. You have Champion, Autolite, Denso, and NGK as good options there. IF I left one out, leave it be, I usually choose the Denso or Autolites. The MSD coil probably isn't hurting or helping.

But that should get you back to a reasonable firing level, with better computer control over the system due to reduced EMI.

Wheels are usually better if smaller and lighter. Especially on an Auto which has problems with gearing to begin with. You added a ton of rotational weight at the outside, which is bad for acceleration.
Factory tires are 23.5" tall. Your tires should be about 23.25". Which is the only good thing I see you have going for you.

What do your short times look like, and are you seeing any wheelspin?
If not, try going up on the tire pressures to intentionally generate a very small amount of wheelspin. This will allow the drivetrain to accelerate harder.

Also, building it anything past the 2100-2200 stall speed of the stock converter will pretty well hurt the launch normally. On a typical small block V8 with no trans brake, you idle launch. With a Big Block, you will run an idle stop to get it to idle a bit higher, and launch from there, and they have 3000+ stall converters as a norm. I'd say you probably want to launch no more than 1400-1600 RPM normally. If you're actually on the stall, you won't get the torque multiplication. If the motor takes too long to get there, you won't get the strongest available launch, as you'll lose some rollout waiting on it.

Anyways, hope that helps out a little.

I never tracked mine, but I was hanging less than 2 cars behind a 15.90 Integra well past a 1/4, and mine is a bone stock 95 SOHC Auto... And I'm fairly sure it's running stronger now than it was then.
We're all crazy, it's just a matter of degree.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:41 am

Last I heard the MSD performed just like stock so how is removing it going to make him faster?
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

Low-Speed
1GN Registrant

Post by Low-Speed » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 am

It's not.
Hence why I said it's not hurting or helping.
But the wires will make a difference.
My SRT went from a 1+ point variation in AFR's in 4th, to flat by changing wires back to stock. EMI is a major issue on newer model cars (yes, the 1st gen is full electronic control) and so most aftermarket wires will either not help, or hurt performance, despite their ridiculous claims.
We're all crazy, it's just a matter of degree.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Low-Speed wrote:It's not.
Hence why I said it's not hurting or helping.
But the wires will make a difference.
My SRT went from a 1+ point variation in AFR's in 4th, to flat by changing wires back to stock. EMI is a major issue on newer model cars (yes, the 1st gen is full electronic control) and so most aftermarket wires will either not help, or hurt performance, despite their ridiculous claims.
Jerry told him to take it off and I was just curious why. I know a lot of people hate it when we use the MSD coils but telling someone to remove to make their car faster is absurd.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:32 pm

I have heard of an MSD coil hurting a car on a dyno. If a Steve Lockett can run 9's with a stock coil, that's good enough for me.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:24 pm

MSD coils are junk. They don't hold up very well.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log