Anyone ever do a false radio faceplate?

Questions about Amps, headunits, speakers, subs, ect... Anything to do with audio, those questions all go here.
Vinny
Administrator

Anyone ever do a false radio faceplate?

Post by Vinny » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:16 pm

I want to make a false head unit from a junk factory radio to put over my CD player when parked in questionable areas. My plan is to use some 3M adhesive backed velcro to attach it, applying the soft loop side to the strips above and below the radio hole in the recessed-style mounting kit and the hook side to the back of a cut-off factory radio face with the buttons glued into it.

I'm thinking a 2nd gen radio may work well for this, an older square style radio like what came in 1st gen Neons would need trimmed down at the edges to fit right where I think the curves of the later rounded radio may fit well inside the area I am working with.

Anyone ever done one of these before? What do you think?

My last CD player was stolen when they guessed right that my removable faceplate was under the seat. I'm not carrying my faceplate around with me like its 1995 again or some shit. :)
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

XanoKais
1GN Registrant

Post by XanoKais » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:03 am

i forget, can neon gloveboxes lock? I always lock my faceplate in the glovebox in questionable areas
~xano

cars:
Girlfriends: 1996 Plymouth Neon Expresso (A588 2.0L, Auto) [Constant project to make her happy...]
Mine: 1988 Nissan 200SX SEV6 (VG30E 3.0L, 5 speed) [rally build coming up soon]

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm

I actually made a sheet metal cover that slid in and covered the faceplate. I powdercoated it black and it looked good. It wasnt for a neon though.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 pm

1st gens don't come with a locking glove box, not sure if a latch from another vehicle can be adapted or not.

A fake radio delete block off could be another idea I suppose....
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:22 am

I put it in my buddies caprice. It was actually really easy. If he still has pics ill post them up

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Matt Laverty put a locking glove box latch on his ACR. I don't know if he ever said what it was from, but it leads me to believe that a locking one from another Chrysler of a similar year would work.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Re: Anyone ever do a false radio faceplate?

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm

Vinny wrote: I'm thinking a 2nd gen radio may work well for this, an older square style radio like what came in 1st gen Neons would need trimmed down at the edges to fit right where I think the curves of the later rounded radio may fit well inside the area I am working with.

Anyone ever done one of these before? What do you think?
Well I have a 2gn radio (actually out of a 05 Caravan) in the daily. The sides are a little tight( had to trim the surround ) but if your only using the very front of the radio, it should work. Start scrounging!!!
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:55 pm

2gn neons have a locking latch. It may be adaptable.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly