Amp question

Questions about Amps, headunits, speakers, subs, ect... Anything to do with audio, those questions all go here.
afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Amp question

Post by afireinside4848 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:45 pm

So the amp I got is 1200 Max, 400 RMS. Its 4 ohm dual. It has 2 wire hook spots on it ( 2 posi, 2 neg). So my final setup is going to be a 2000-2500 Watt amp with this sub and another same(both 1200) What should my amp be in terms of ohms. And would I just wire the amp to both hookups on each sub?

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 pm

do you have any clue on what your talking about?
what amp do you have? what subs?
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:45 pm

I am lost too, but I would bridge your amp. Meaning hooking up both wires from the sub to one postive terminal and one negative terminal on the amp

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:32 pm

My sub has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals on it.

Heres the amp I'm looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... T.m240.lVI

It says 4ohms 900w RMS(90 is a typo) and 2500 Max but at 2 ohms. Now my sub is 4 ohms. If I run the amp to the sub and connect the posi wire to both positive terminals and the neg to both negitive terminals, will it run at the subs 1200w max?

I want to have 2500W of power so would I run 2 amps totaling 2500(1200 each amp) to two seperate subs or can I just use 1 2500W amp and bridge 2 subs on it?

IF YOU DON'T GET IT LOOK AT THIS:

Will the above total 2400 Watts Max? If not what would I need?

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:57 pm

afireinside4848 wrote:My sub has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals on it.

Heres the amp I'm looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... T.m240.lVI

It says 4ohms 900w RMS(90 is a typo) and 2500 Max but at 2 ohms. Now my sub is 4 ohms. If I run the amp to the sub and connect the posi wire to both positive terminals and the neg to both negitive terminals, will it run at the subs 1200w max?

I want to have 2500W of power so would I run 2 amps totaling 2500(1200 each amp) to two seperate subs or can I just use 1 2500W amp and bridge 2 subs on it?

IF YOU DON'T GET IT LOOK AT THIS:

Will the above total 2400 Watts Max? If not what would I need?
since you sub has 2 pos and 2 neg that means it is a dual voice coil sub.. now when you say your subs are 4 ohm im assuming that means that are dual 4 ohm subs (d4) that means you can wire your subs to either 1 ohm or 2 ohms depending on if you wire them in series or parrallel.. what kind of subs are they?
this may help with how to wire them:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/w ... ofer_imp=4

and i can guarantee that amp does NOT do rated power.. its junk! your probably going to see half of what it is really rated :lol:

and you can bridge the amps but im lost on why your amp has 2 pos and neg inputs since it is a mono amp.. having 2 inputs makes it a 2 channell amp..

so since your amp cant handle 1 ohm that means you wil have to wire at 2 ohm so you will be seeing about 400 watts (if your lucky) so that is 200 watts a sub and im guessing your subs are over rated too so your probably going to be "good" with that..

ok i dont wana start another flameing but ytf did you buy this shit if you cant hook it up, dont know what your talking about, and can barely afford to keep your car running.. how the fuck do you pay for all the other shit you need?
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:58 am

The amp doesn't have 2 posi and neg, the sub does. And I had the 850W version of the amp and the same sub(except 2ohm) and I was very pleased with the output. I know alot of cheap things like ebay turbo kits are junk but the amp was really nice, I'm not lookin to get out of my car screaming cause the bass was so louod I can't hear anything but just wanted something thats a bit louder then I had so I figured this would be a nice step up. I'll take a look at the faq though, thanks.

Yes its dual coil. So how would I wire then to 2ohms? Lets just stick to running the amp into 1 sub for now(At 40% volume so I don't blow it) Would I just run the amps 1 posi to the subs 2 posi's and the amps 1 negative to the subs 2 negi terminals and it will run at 1200 Max?

I couldn't afford anything cause I didn't have a job for 3 months, my car is running fine now. I know about electronics and stuff but thats why I'm asking here so I get the loudest sub and amp combo. I know by looking at things that 4ohms isn't as loud as 2ohms but was confused at why they made two posi and neg terminals on the sub.
Its better and easier most of the time to ask people about stuff then to try and search for it cause if you don't use the right keywords you won't find the right info. I have to learn somewhere .

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:52 am

Its a mono block amp so I would bridge them with one amp and see what it sounds like and if you dont like the sound of that Hook both amps up and wire them separetly to the subs. You could even bridge them separatley too. If you have any mpre ?'s just ask Id be more than happy to give my input or draw up a diagram for you/

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 am

check out this site..
www.caraudio.com
probably the best site for this stuff but you will get bashed if you dont accept other peoples comments so just accept it..
another good site is..
www.sounddomain.com
they will help you alot more than ca but they arent as knowledgeable.. honestly i would start at sd and work your way up to ca..

good luck

o and 2 ohms isnt louder than 4 ohms.. ohms are just the amount of resistance.. there are 8 ohm subs that will get louder than .5 ohm subs.. there is alot more to it than just ohms and watts..
The definition of a NEON

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:44 am

Ladi3sman55 wrote:
o and 2 ohms isnt louder than 4 ohms.. ohms are just the amount of resistance.. there are 8 ohm subs that will get louder than .5 ohm subs.. there is alot more to it than just ohms and watts..
I just see all amps saying the RMS on 4 ohms always lower then what the RMS on 2 is.

I'll try those sites, I don't disagree with people on stuff I don't know about but sometimes I don't understand the answers lol.

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:53 am

well your right amps will create more power at lower ohms cause there is less resistance but its harder on the electrical system of your car.. so yes all amps will produce more watts and a lower ohm but some amps are stable at low ohms..
The definition of a NEON

Craz1000
1GN Registrant

Post by Craz1000 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:14 pm

ok first of all this is all wrong

your subs can either be 2ohms or 8ohms and with 2 subs thats a final load of 1ohm or 4ohms

and if your amp is 400RMS 1200 peak guess what you will never see more than 400w coming out of that amp (assuming it has a 30a fuse and is 100% efficiency which is impossible)

also if i read it correctly you have a 2 channel... which the only way to wire a DVC sub to a 2-channel is either each coil to its own channel or you run the coils in a series and brige the amp.... but no-matter what you will NEVER get the full power of the amp out so your 400RMS has now turned into 350RMS; 200RMS if bridged.

your best bet is to get a mono-block that can either handle 1ohm (which i highly dont recomend because THD goes WAY up under 2ohms) or get 2 amps like i did.. one for each sub.. thats the best way because youll get the most power, and most quality
Last edited by Craz1000 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:27 pm

two questions.....
1. are my 4 ohm subs actually 2 or 8 ohms?
2. system voltage of the car won't effect wattage capabilities of an amp?

Craz1000
1GN Registrant

Post by Craz1000 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:40 pm

1) they are DVC so you have a choice of 2 or 8 ohms at EACH sub. your TOTAL load will vary how its wired after. series adds the load if you run a series the load is divided among the nodes. so 2 subs that are DVC will have a final load of 1ohm, 5ohms, or 16ohms

2)voltage dose affect wattage GREATLY heres why (Voltage x Amperage = Wattage) so if your amp has 2 30a fuses then 60a is the MOST it will ever pull so MAX wattage is 810w @ 100% efficiency (which a 100% amp dosent exist in the physical world)

First Class MECP Tech