Recovering the headliner.

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
Red97
1GN Registrant

Recovering the headliner.

Post by Red97 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 am

Has anyone tried recovering the head liner? I have the rear portion of my head liner flapping in the breeze and it's driving me CRAZY! How do you remove it? If I recover it, what type of fabric? Any help would be great.
If at first you don't succeed, you're about average!!

5hadow
1GN Registrant

Post by 5hadow » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm

They sell headliner fabric at JoAnn Fabrics.

DC Turismo
1GN n00b

Post by DC Turismo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:10 am

Get headliner material from JOANN Fabrics.

Get spray can of 3M Super Adhesive ($20 a can at Advance Auto, but it works!)

Remove headliner cardboard from car. Peel off by hadn whatever fabric you can without breaking the cardboard it is glued to.

Any leftover glue (foamy yellowish brown stuff) scrape with razor blade or wire brush until all is removed.

Dust off with towel or air hose.

Spray glue all over headliner cardboard. Lie the new material down in place and smooth out with side of your palm (start in the middle and work your way outwards so you get all of teh indents for the dome light, sunvisors, etc. first. You dont want to pull too tight and have these areas not stay glued down and end up falling down in the future.

Let dry, then flip cardboard over, glue, and tuck the fabric along the edges.

I've done this to many cars, from L-bodies, Shadows, Daytonas, Neons, and trucks. Always have looked great and helld up every time.

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:03 pm

if you have a u pull and pay or a junkyard like that.. they have headliners for like $22 and that has the fiberglass backing to come with it, very easy to put in...thats what i did with my neon
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.