do tie bars and strut bars really help handling

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
projectneon1998
1GN Registrant

Post by projectneon1998 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 pm

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Thu May 20, 2010 6:35 pm

A lot of people told me without solid strut mounts they are useless. The soft strut mounts flex more than the body does. tie bars I have no clue.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 pm

The chassis flexes when driving. Anything you can do to stiffen it a little more is good. Some cars will flex more than others, and for this reason strut bars and tie braces will have different effects on different cars. For instance, convertible cars flex a shit ton while driving. Adding braces and bars to a convertible usually makes a noticeable difference. Adding them to your neon is probably not going to be as noticeable. The cheap ebay bars are not really going to do much at all.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Thu May 20, 2010 11:36 pm

According to the neon performance book even the ebay ones work, will I try them no. But yeah what he said^ anything you can do will help and in the end it will all add up. Like get all the cheap shit, then when you get the sway bars n good struts n springs you will have a good ass ride. But that's my opinion

charger440neon2.0l
1GN Registrant

Post by charger440neon2.0l » Tue May 25, 2010 2:00 am

I didn't notice anything up front and saw no difference in my autocross times with or without the bar and since it was in the way when checked my brake fluid or coolant bottle it came off and went on ebay. In the rear I noticed a huge difference the car started picking up the inside tire a lot more often on hard corners. I have energy suspension poly kit 22mm and 19mm sway bars matrix 1" drop springs up front, mopar high rates in rear.

Bzevey
1GN Registrant

Post by Bzevey » Tue May 25, 2010 6:14 am

If your running a poly bushing kit you will see a slight difference then