Whining in 5th

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
subzero
1GN Registrant

Whining in 5th

Post by subzero » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 pm

so i am figuring this tramission i got on my car i think the bearings are shot. because it whines in fifth between 45-60mph but once i get over 65mph the whine goes away or i just don't hear it so basically should i just replace the tranny or get new bearings its a 3.55 trans and has 93k on it. and if i should replace the bearings i don't even know what to look for. i looked at these

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search

or this...

http://www.allstategear.com/allstate/pr ... x?PageNo=1

im confused on what bearings it would be..or maybe its something completely different. i did check the transmission fluid on it and i can touch it with my pinky finger and its red. it also leaks from the axle seals but i bought replacements for those and i noticed the inspection window ontop of the tranny is missing the cover so maybe some dirty fell into it. i honestly don't know it only has trouble in 5th

-ed-
1GN Registrant

Post by -ed- » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 am

Inspect your wheel bearings. It's about time for a replacement anyways.

If you think it's in the transmission, just keep driving it until it dies. No sense in doing all the work needed for a trans swap unless you absolutely need it (or are a glutton for punishment)! May want to see if you can find another trans for cheap, but again I would just keep driving. 8)

subzero
1GN Registrant

Post by subzero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 pm

-ed- wrote:Inspect your wheel bearings. It's about time for a replacement anyways.

If you think it's in the transmission, just keep driving it until it dies. No sense in doing all the work needed for a trans swap unless you absolutely need it (or are a glutton for punishment)! May want to see if you can find another trans for cheap, but again I would just keep driving. 8)
which is what happened diff pin snapped and put 3 hole in trans i have a 3.94 now.