Funny noises coming from transmission

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Funny noises coming from transmission

Post by MiseryInDeath » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:35 am

Hello everyone. I'm new here obviously, and new to the Neon world... I just bought a Neon about a month ago. Here's the little I know about it... It's a 1995 red sedan 5spd SOHC. It had 109k miles on it when I bought it and has almost 112k on it now (going back and forth to MD from VA Beach a few times helped). It has an aftermarket clutch which is thought to be a stage 1. It has new brakes all the way around along with a set of no-name aftermarket rims, not even sure the name actually. Oh yes, almost forgot, it has an aftermarket muffler. No exhaust system, just a muffler. Anyways, on to my question since this should be enough to help and such. When I bought the car it was running perfectly. No problems what-so-ever. Within the past week though the rear main gasket has blown, gas mileage has dropped by half (from around 400 miles per tank down to roughly 200 miles per tank, and the worst problem of all, something is making a horrific grinding/scraping/etc. noise when I let off the clutch. I've been told it's been a number of different things from the clutch plate to a pilot bearing. I'm obviously not too well off with Neon's and such and I have a friend who said this was a great place to get Neon advice so I'm reaching out to all the experts here. What is your best guess as to what's causing this problem and how hard (or easy) would it be to fix this problem? If it isn't solved shortly, I'm just going to end up buying an engine and transmission from another Neon and swapping it in. Thanks for any help in advance.

SuperGus
1GN Registrant

Post by SuperGus » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:39 am

Well let me be the first to welcome you since I was the one who told you about the site. As far as the problems go I wouldnt have any idea until I hear it.

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:41 am

Hmm... Well, thank you and good point. I guess the best I can do is describe it... It's kind of like putting marbles in a metal, hollow object and shaking it... Or just general grinding noises... Wish I still had my old phone with the sound recorder on it so I could record and upload. =/

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:09 am

Its usually the TOB when you release the clutch and it makes the noise.
If its all the time, my geuss would be input/output shaft bearing. No matter what you'd replace(except the TOB if itst he case) you'd find a trans for that price so you'd be better off doing that. Hope you got a pick-n-pull around.

Could be a flywheel bolt but I doubt it cause that would do some damage.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Wherebouts are ya in MD. Could lend a hand. TOB does seem to be the issue though, but a great excuse to go 2.4 :lol:

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:08 pm

Hrm, me? Not in MD. I'm around VA Beach/Norfolk area. I'm not looking to put tons of money into the car. Just keep it working properly until Sept.

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 am

Who really is? A 2.4L engine runs ya about $180 here, then you have the pass side side ($70), and them some wiring. Not really a "fortune," but this doesn't sound like you need a engine anyway. Does the sound subside if you press the clutch pedal all the way down?

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 am

Yeah. The sound goes away when the clutch pedal is fully pressed down. It goes away for intervals after the car has been driving for a little bit. I've noticed that recently.

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Does it do it when sitting still?

If it does it with the engine running but goes away when you put the clutch in it's probably the input shaft bearing. It's right behind that steel plate on the driver's side of the transmission, real easy to get to and see. But beyond the reach of most people to replace. I've done it, can do it in like 20 minutes with the proper fixture and a press.

One of the ACR transmissions I have in the garage does this. Engine running, clutch engaged, grinds horribly, goes up with engine rpms (does it while driving too, follows engine rpm). When sitting still, I could put the clutch in and it would go away immediately if I put it in gear, or eventually if I left it in neutral (input shaft slows down to stop on it's own).

If it does it when you aren't moving, it's nothing on the output shaft as it's not spinning.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Yes, it does it while I'm just sitting there with it in neutral. It doesn't go away when I put it in gear and it doesn't get faster or slower with RPM's. It only does it with the clutch pedal out. I have to have it fully to the floor in order for it to NOT do it. Even the slightest bit out and it starts doing it. It goes in and out on it's own. I don't really know. If replacing the clutch and flywheel this weekend doesn't work (provided I don't have to work and can actually do this), I don't know what I'll do.

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:58 pm

While replacing clutch, get a new throwout bearing. Odds are that's the problem then. If it makes the noise with the car sitting still and clutch in, and in gear, it's not in the trans. With it in gear and clutch in, NOTHING in the trans is spinning.
'96 black coupe- #4
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'04 SRT-4 - #50

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:40 pm

With the clutch in it doesn't make the noise. Just with it out. Putting it in kills the noise.

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Oh, misread that. Jack it up and take off the tire. See if you can hear it from that steel plate right behind the strut. With the clutch pedal out and in neutral, the input shaft is spinning (and the gears inside the trans but not the output shaft). If it's from the trans itself, you'd have to tear it down to fix. Not just open it up, but disassemble it which I doubt most people on here will ever do. It's pretty cool though :)
'96 black coupe- #4
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'04 SRT-4 - #50

MiseryInDeath
1GN n00b

Post by MiseryInDeath » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Well, now I have a new problem. Not sure if it's related or not. About 3 times now it's completely popped out of gear. As far as I remember, at least twice was when I was doing 25 with it in third gear. The third time was also in 3rd gear but I believe I was going a little bit faster. 35-40 maybe. Either way, popping out of gear isn't good at all and I at least know that much. I had my foot on the gas, nothing touching the clutch or shifter (right foot was on the "dead pedal" I guess you could call it and right arm was out the window with left hand on the wheel) and I didn't have any passengers. I don't know. I think this car is giving me more trouble then it's worth.

hotrod
1GN Registrant

Post by hotrod » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Um," I know this thread is really old, but "On the first topic, horrific grinding/scraping/etc. noise, comming from tranny side of car.
My car was making, an still making this simular sound, I did a clutch and throwout bearing replacement, hoping to resolve this Issue, "but no luck, Its still making this strange, irritating noise.
When I let my car Idle, It makes this noise, with clutch In, all the way to the floor, noise subsides, just a little bit of disengagement of the clutch pedal, an "bam! The noise returns.
When I have more time, I'll upload a video for everyone.
Tomorrow, Ill take off my driverside wheel ,an listen to the tranny to see if I can hear where that noise is actually comming from.
My Ne0n Project Can Be Found Here
http://teamtos.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=153
IT'S JUST A NEON L0oL...