Popping out of gear

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Popping out of gear

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:12 am

My car seems to pop out of gear if i dont hold the shifter foward(3rd mainly never 2,4)when really pushing it or slamming the gas..my geuss is since my FMM is shot to shit when i accelerate the tranny rocks back(which u can feel when driving in like 4th at 40 with alot of gas then letting of completly is this common for neons?)so im geussing under accel it pushings the bobble down(old bobble from the jy) and comes up on the FMM,and since when the shifter is in 3rd its actually pulled backwards and when the car accels it pushes the opposite direcion of th eshifter thats why it pops out.Anyone got same problem?

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:14 am

my guess would be syncros. in my 98, i have stock mounts and no bobble but it never slips out of gear no matter how hard i get on it. i wouldn't think bad motor mounts or bobble would cause it to pop out of gear. but i could be wrong.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:48 am

It would take a lot of drive train movement to pop it out of gear, but it is possible. The detents on the shift rails in the trans are responsible for holding the shifter in a selected gear.

I would fix the mount and inspect the cables before trying anything else.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

afireinside4848
1GN Registrant

Post by afireinside4848 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 pm

I've had this problem with my other tranny,but 3rd and 5th grinded so the sychros were completly shot.I thought that once the gears are locked together theyre together I didnt know the synchros are still being used all the time.

- Right now im pushing just a lil over 300 HP, thinking about upgrading turbo charger and putting a 6spd tranny in - LMFAO

- Only took 4 transmissions to make me relize I need to take it easy cause its just a neon -

99 5 Spd Neon R/t - DD
2.4L Turbo Project Neon Soon Under Way

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:48 pm

The synchro cone only speeds up the selected speed gear until the shift is made. Once the dog teeth of the hub ring has engaged to the gear's dog teeth, the hub and the gear are locked together. The friction material no longer does anything at this point.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that power is always transfered through the synchronizer assembly when the gear is engaged, but its not wearing the friction material. What wears the friction material is hard shifting and abusive down shifting.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

racyneon
1GN Registrant

Post by racyneon » Tue May 20, 2008 3:58 pm

This happened to me before. It was 3rd gear only but only under normal acceleration or cruising. Never full throttle. It went away strangley when i replaced my clutch. I dont see how that could affect it but it hasnt happened scince. Check your trans fluid also.
98 r/t: 2.0L=3 spun rod bearings. Starting 2.4L build with srt internals.
14.5@98mph 5psi
srt turbo, stock intercooler, stock downpipe, mpx pulley, 2.5" catback, maddog sts.