NA Basics please

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
Stealthscan
1GN n00b

NA Basics please

Post by Stealthscan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:06 am

Ok, this just gets better every day~
I am rebuilding a sandrail and want to do something different. The Ford 2.0 and 2.3 has been all day long, but the Dodge 2.0 has not. As you guys know, it is lighter and makes more WHP out of the box. As much as I like the idea of EFI, a carb is easier! Who make a good intake for these engines? Any advice or direction will be greatly :blob3: appreciated. I am looking at a first gen, probably DOHC for the donor engine.

Sheldon

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm

A carb will be harder as nobody makes an intake to bolt one on. Since you're building the whole thing custom, the fuel system wouldn't be as difficult as if you were re-doing a car.

Your best would likely be to find a wrecked car and take the engine, and the wiring harness. If you really want to you could run the engine off of a Megasquirt system without needing to use the stock computer at all, which may be easier and cheaper than messing with the wiring.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

2.0L DOHC neon, Weber side-drafts:

If you want to go the carb route, you may be better off trying to adapt a motorcycle carb setup. You will also need to make a distributor work with the engine, as the neon uses a multi-coil waste spark ignition.

The neon's engine management system is very simple and would not be hard to use. This is going to require a lot less fab work than a carb setup, but it will require some wiring. If you can read automotive wiring diagrams, you can do it.

A MegaSquirt stand-alone ECU is an option, but if your afraid of using the factory EFI, MegaSquirt tuning is not for you.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:12 pm

NC FTW

edit: i figured it out

Stealthscan
1GN n00b

Post by Stealthscan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am

Ok I am not real smart, but I can follow instructions. If going with the stock stuff will be the least painful I will do it. I have some fab skills, but it would take me too long to have to build up a bunch.
I found a 95 Sport Coupe DOHC that runs for 500 bucks. I will go look at it next week and probably go with that.

Thanks!

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 am

What color and interior? I need parts for my 95 sport coupe and i would be willing to pay you for some parts.

Stealthscan
1GN n00b

Post by Stealthscan » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

DOHCRT wrote:2.0L DOHC neon, Weber side-drafts:

If you want to go the carb route, you may be better off trying to adapt a motorcycle carb setup. You will also need to make a distributor work with the engine, as the neon uses a multi-coil waste spark ignition.

The neon's engine management system is very simple and would not be hard to use. This is going to require a lot less fab work than a carb setup, but it will require some wiring. If you can read automotive wiring diagrams, you can do it.

A MegaSquirt stand-alone ECU is an option, but if your afraid of using the factory EFI, MegaSquirt tuning is not for you.

That setup is just about too cool. It kills me that the "purist" hot rodders snub their nose at this kind of stuff. As I understand it, Hot Rodding is taking what is available and cheap, and make it better and slicker.