looking for some upgrades to my stock sohc

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
08kgraves
1GN Registrant

looking for some upgrades to my stock sohc

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 pm

dont know a lot about making neons fast so i figured i would ask you guys. lets start by saying that its a 97 2.0 sohc but is getting the engine of a 96 2.0 sohc put in it. i snapped the timing belt and there was antifreeze coming out of somewhere. also found out it was burning hot inside the combustion chamber. and a buddy of mine happend to have a 96 that he was all mad at cus he blew a hole out the side of the trans. but engine still ran good, i bought it for $400 so i just pulled the hole motor and put new timing belt on this one. i just want to know what some good upgrades would be probly starting with the cheapest first lol. I seen something about doing a piston swap? whats the benefits of that exactly? also seen something about a ghetto blaster? give me the low down people. im tired of my car being a total turd! doest help its an automatic either

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Piston swap is good, but it's a lot of work for little gain. Unless you already have it apart, just leave it. A ghetto blaster is a plastic manifold that is made to delete the 90 degree bend in the intake manifold. They cut it and some sort of way stick a plenum onto the runners. It's really ghetto, that's why they call it that. I know someone that has a black dog SOHC manifold (aluminum version of "ghetto blaster" for simple terms) but much better than a ghetto blaster. Put that on there with a 55 mm throttle body, and a good intake tube that keeps things cold (not hard to fab up without that 90 degree bend) a good header (TTi just went on modern for around 200 plus shipping) and a good exhaust (TTi exhaust also on modern for around 280 plus shipping). All of that will definitely wake up your SOHC. Also a 95 "hot" cam will help out a bit too. The 95 cam was a little more agressive than the 96+

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 pm

ok where can i get a good intake setup from? the whole lets carry air to the back, then back to the front and in seems pretty stupid to me. would a universal kit from autozone or something be good? i want to route it down by the battery. well that general area. or is there one you recomend? links are always helpfull :) and for the header. are they hard to get off in vehicle or not to bad? because as of right now the engine is out but it has to go back in so i have my own ride again lol. and im thinking i might have to look for a 95 cam now.

i also still have the entire other engine that i pulled out of it because the timing belt snapped. as long as nothing looks to serious i may just build it up then drop it back in one day. so maybe ill just slowly get parts for that.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 am

You can fab one up, or if you're so inclined to buy one, my buddy Ballistik is selling his Iceman intake, it was made by Iceman, sold by mopar, and it goes beneath the battery-ish. I fabbed my own up and it fed right next to the bottom of the trans. It was COLD air compared to behind the head where the factory box sits. A header isn't hard to install at all. Even with the engine in the car.

http://www.modernperformance.com/sohc-r ... -2284.html

That's the header

http://www.modernperformance.com/catbac ... -2286.html

That's the exhaust. And for an intake, you'll have to do some research. Go to the for sale section in this forum and you'l'l find my buddy's post. He was selling some wheels with it too.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 am

ok, thanks for the links. and yeah i actually seen that intake for sale. i dont have the extra funds right now though, i just wanted some ideas more or less i guess you would say. but ill deffinately keep that exhaust setup in mind. any chance you can post up a pic of your intake?

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:03 am

I had pics all over the place of it. Let me dig them out and post 'em up. I had 2 different styles. I'll actually sell you one of them for like 10 plus whatever shipping is. But keep in mind, you'll need to modify your battery tray.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:10 am

ill need pics and a little explanation of what you did to the battery tray then to probly. i know i can swing the ten even this very second but once i get my car running properly and it stops raping me for parts ill probly buy it if i like the setup of it that is.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:28 am

The front where the hold-down is needs to be cut off, you can then fabricate some sort of way to hold the battery down on the front or with straps or something.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:33 am

ahhh, i see. well i would still like to see pics when you find them but alteast i got an idea brewing in my head now

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:34 am

I never had my battery tied down. And when I finally get the car back together, it'll be under the pass. side of the front bumper. Or somewhere on the passenger's side.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:40 am

i would say i would go out and look to see where i can put it but both my neons have the motor out right now and the coupe has the trans out to.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:52 am

ok well i found this cam on ebay from comp cams. is it even better than a stock 95 cam? anyone have the stock 95 cam specs by chance? but here is the link for the comp cams one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-CAM ... 2eb4bc5e9d

and also are there any good intakes on ebay? i found some like this. but didnt know if they would be any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-Do ... 4aab96a67b

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:04 am

also does anyone know of a way to delay the shifts longer in my automatic when im getting on it hard? that way its faster without having to shift it myself. i want to do a 5 speed swap though. and someone correct me if im wrong but i think all i need is the trans. computer, pedals, and linkage right?

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Don't use that intake. Fabricate your own or get an iceman. Have it feed under the battery. Get a manual swap, and that cam is right in between a crane 12 and a crane 14

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Weren't you sposed to get me some pics of your intake setup? What ever happened to that?