im ferking stumped

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
f3racer
1GN Registrant

im ferking stumped

Post by f3racer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:45 pm

ok so. 96 sohc atx. runs and drives but like shat. when it idles it idles fine with a slight noise that sounds like a couple rocks tumbling. the sound is coming from around the pulleys somewhere. when i put a load on it, i.e., put it in gear or turn on the a.c. the car starts backfiring and running like crap. i did a comression check and all the cylinders are above 140 except one which is around 125. things ive done so far are, valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, new plugs, oil and filter change. not sure where to go from here. when i got the car there was no fuel pump and the metal tank was in the back seat. i found a plastic tank with a fuel pump in it. i had to cut the plug off the donor car because someone did it to mine. the wiring on my car is blue/white, black, black/green, and green/white. the pump wires were blue/white, green/white, and 2 black wires. neither of the black wires had a stripe.
ssg us army
07 cbr 600 rr ccs #81

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:57 pm

well first of all. your engine is needs to be replace or rebuilt if the compression is that low
-97 dohc swapped 5 spd base model

custom95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by custom95neon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:47 pm

sound like your cat could be bad too

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 pm

oh yea, check your timing belt tensioner. if thats bad it can make the car run like shit
-97 dohc swapped 5 spd base model