Won't start?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
cocuzzinator
1GN n00b

Won't start?

Post by cocuzzinator » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 pm

I think it might be that just the timing is out of whack but I'll give the situation;

'99 neon with DOHC (bought the car with a DOHC & spun bearing on cyl. 1; originally had a SOHC but owner swapped it himself), bought another engine with overbore high-comp pistons, crane cams, adjustable cam gears and some other random goodies that I probably don't know about yet exist (the guy needed it gone asap & he couldn't find a lot of the paperwork so what he did have is all that I know about). DOHC apparently came from a '95 because all of the electrical plugs & everything were round, not flat pin.

Anyways, I got the motor in the car & when I try and start it it just cranks. I don't hear anything which would indicate that the spark plugs are igniting the fuel (the exhaust pipe had a huge lateral crack in it so I removed it completely & can hear compression from the pistons through the header).

I've checked the fuel pressure on the rail, & when I turn the key I have pressure. Tested the plugs as well and they are all sparking. Only thing left that I can think of is that the guy I bought the engine from set the cams out of time or that I have a bad cam pos. sensor (bought a new crank sensor so I'm pretty sure that one's not bad). I'm planning on going through the process of a timing belt change & taking off the valve cover to see if it's timed correctly sometime either this weekend or next.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm

I would check the compression, car would still prob start but run ruff, I had the same issue with mine, would turn but not turn over, ended up being the pcm, you may have to try another computer, I would get one from a junk yard and start there, I replaced almost every sensor in mine and it ended up being the damn computer all along. And I have a similiar setup, I did a engine swap my car is a 99 and it had the dohc but was blown, found a 96 with 98000 miles on it dohc, and we changed over sensors and replaced, it was rediculous but the car runs great now. Good luck hope this helps.
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 pm

Unplug the cam position sensor and crank it again. It'll start after a few seconds of cranking.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

cocuzzinator
1GN n00b

Post by cocuzzinator » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Swapped out the PCM with another one I had (guy I bought the engine from also gave me a laundry basket full of parts) & tried to crank it, still nothing. Tried unplugging the cam pos. sensor and cranking it a few times, then plugged it in again and cranked it; still nothing.

Haven't taken it apart to check the timing yet (had to fix a leak in one of the coolant inlet tubes so that is what I spent most of the day doing) but I plan on doing that some-time next week.

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 pm

When you unplug the cam sensor, it has to crank quite a bit before it'll start. Pull the fuel rail off and see if you're getting fuel when you crank.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

cocuzzinator
1GN n00b

Post by cocuzzinator » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

When you say unplug the cam sensor do you mean leave it unplugged while I'm cranking it or plug it back in while it's cranking?

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Leave it undone, then crank. All 98-99 pcm's can fire the car without cam reference.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

cocuzzinator
1GN n00b

Post by cocuzzinator » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Turns out that the intake camshaft was 180 degrees out of line so it the engine was trying to fire when valves were open.

Thanks for all the help though!