'01 motor in '95 DOHC? HELP!!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
keeders08
1GN Registrant

'01 motor in '95 DOHC? HELP!!

Post by keeders08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 am

I have a 2001 SOHC(obviously) motor.
I wanted to swap the block to my DOHC head, but fund ran out and i can not get the head decked and refinished ya know all the good stuff...
So, would a '01 motor work with a '95 DOHC ECU and wiring harness?

Any help is appeciated!!

E-MAIL ME ASAP if u got a sure answer please :-)
keeders08@yahoo.com

http://forum.1gn.org/garage/upload/gara ... _thumb.jpg
YEHAW
Last edited by keeders08 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

::95 Sprt Coupe::

::04 Gray Neon SXT::

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Swap your sensors over and you're good to go. Do note that the cam sensor is different between the two, and some others may be as well.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:22 pm

roysneon wrote:Swap your sensors over and you're good to go. Do note that the cam sensor is different between the two, and some others may be as well.
If ur talking about it being a post NGC... thats a negative. 2001 is pre NGC.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

Nono
1GN Registrant

Re: '01 motor in '95 DOHC? HELP!!

Post by Nono » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:31 am

keeders08 wrote: So, would a '01 motor work with a '95 DOHC ECU and wiring harness?
You will be ok to use it if both motors has Crank Sensor located on same place. Otherwise, unfortunatelly thats a no.

If there are on same place... go ahead but computer may not help you to max spark advance at all due to SOHC stock ECU, but it will run. I've seen this before. The guy finally made it MS and obviously, went with some serious mods like lot of bolt ons, 3/4 Crower cams... etc.
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
- Best 60' 2.04s, Best mph 98.87, Best e/t 13.99s - but
RIP !!!

- Finally.. in the end... Nono has joined the dark side. New project: 98 D♂hç ∩ε♂∩ ∩/a :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:27 am

01 will have it in the same place.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:52 am

Yes, the crank sensor is in the same spot, but he's running a SOHC with a DOHC wiring harness.

Isn't the cam sensor different between the two engines?

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 am

roysneon wrote:Yes, the crank sensor is in the same spot, but he's running a SOHC with a DOHC wiring harness.

lol
the only thing i know bout what ur sayin really is the diff with the Pre-NGC(94-'01 or '02) crank sensor.. now if ur talkin cam sensor, well idk.. haha i havent gotten that in depth yet cause this is a new idea, the original idea was to keep the DOHC head and use the SOHC bottom end just to get the car runnin' but if i can just throw the whole PUT TOGETHER motor in there then why not just make it that much easier, right..

anyway, ive been speakin to INFIL about this, I beleive he said just swap sensors and get a SOHC intake manifold and water neck.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Re: '01 motor in '95 DOHC? HELP!!

Post by keeders08 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Nono wrote:
keeders08 wrote: So, would a '01 motor work with a '95 DOHC ECU and wiring harness?
You will be ok to use it if both motors has Crank Sensor located on same place. Otherwise, unfortunatelly thats a no.

If there are on same place... go ahead but computer may not help you to max spark advance at all due to SOHC stock ECU, but it will run. I've seen this before. The guy finally made it MS and obviously, went with some serious mods like lot of bolt ons, 3/4 Crower cams... etc.
Im not sure what ur saying about the spark advance... im sure i can adjust timing and what not... either way.. if it runs ok im fine with it.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:48 pm

keeders08 wrote:
roysneon wrote:Yes, the crank sensor is in the same spot, but he's running a SOHC with a DOHC wiring harness.

lol
the only thing i know bout what ur sayin really is the diff with the Pre-NGC(94-'01 or '02) crank sensor.. now if ur talkin cam sensor, well idk.. haha i havent gotten that in depth yet cause this is a new idea, the original idea was to keep the DOHC head and use the SOHC bottom end just to get the car runnin' but if i can just throw the whole PUT TOGETHER motor in there then why not just make it that much easier, right..

anyway, ive been speakin to INFIL about this, I beleive he said just swap sensors and get a SOHC intake manifold and water neck.

Yes, what he said sounds about right. It seems that we're both confused about the potential difference between the cam sensors.

I know for a fact that the short block will work, as the crank sensor is the same.

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:20 am

roysneon wrote:
keeders08 wrote:

lol

Yes, what he said sounds about right. It seems that we're both confused about the potential difference between the cam sensors.

I know for a fact that the short block will work, as the crank sensor is the same.
Well we all know the short block will... question is, SOHC '01 with a '95 DOHC ECU it'll be interesting i guess. Now I need a '95 or Magnum Cam and upgrade to some PT top end or Mag top end and see what i can get outa just some OEM stuff and bolt ons just for the hell of it.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:02 pm

PT stuff is for DOHC only. All the SOHC rockers and lifters are the same.

The mag head, cam, and valve springs are an upgrade.

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm

roysneon wrote:PT stuff is for DOHC only. All the SOHC rockers and lifters are the same.

The mag head, cam, and valve springs are an upgrade.
My bad, um still on that f*ckin DOHC shit lol
I'll prolly do the cam, but not the head or nething cause i dont have the money to dump into my cars ne more :-/
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"