dohc bottom end sohc top

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
95xenonneon
1GN n00b

dohc bottom end sohc top

Post by 95xenonneon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 pm

i was about to rebuild my bottom end in my sohc and a buddy of mine told me to to buy a dohc bottom end and put my single head on top of it. will this actually help or should i just rebuild mine ( i would also rebuild the dohc bottom)..i would just dual the whole motor but my sohc is built up sum ( 14 cam, oversized valve's, springs, port and polished)

o and im not really building either bottom end up either dont really have that much spare money just tryin to have a fresh bottom end

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:23 pm

This would be beneficial to your setup. The dohc pistons will add .1 of compression per piston. Rods are the same between the dohc and sohc. Given that the 1G sohc runs at 9.8:1 compression, adding the dohc pistons to your setup would increase compression to 10.3:1. This mod is going to run me about $500 on my dohc, so consider a good move to make for your sohc engine. New pistons rings are good insurance. Get the bearing replaced as will if you can. Might as well refresh the block to insure long life.

Dranz17
1GN n00b

Post by Dranz17 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Your compression ratio will be closer to 10.2 than 10.3. Play with your head gasket and you could end up around 10.7. Higher compression makes for a fun daily driver. Mines at 11.4 right now(a little high for some people). NEVER half ass anything when it comes to a motor. Rebuild yours with dohc pistons. Use new bearings, new rings, and plastigauge your clearances to make sure you're within spec. If you get stuck, feel free to ask.
Clash of the Titans
AMM vs GBP vs INDY
96 sohc
Stock parts include:
valve cover, oil pan

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:42 pm

It's been revived!