Kirk Racing long tube header

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
farmboy
1GN Registrant

Kirk Racing long tube header

Post by farmboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 am

can anyone give me more detailed info about this product? the info from Modern Performance states that it is designed to eliminate the catalytic converter, but can a cat still be used with it, (to keep it emissions legal)? Would the use of a high flow cat be detrimental to the benefits of the LTH? What are the actual benefits? (more torque, more HP)? Sorry for all the questions. The car is a 98 ACR with over bore forged pistons, mopar comp, 2gn mopar perf exhaust, 3.0L intake, ATX TB. The car is primarily a daily driver, (which is why it needs to stay emissions legal), but will be raced competitively in bracket racing. current best time is a 16.07 with a 2.3 60ft. i'd like to get the car running consistent mid to low 15's for spring.

thanks for any info you guys can provide.

98moparR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 98moparR/T » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:22 am

def slow times with the mods listed, kirk header is alright and be can used with a cat but if you know a garage pretty well id say go with a tti or obx long tube for more gains
Adam

member # 5

04 blue srt4 - tein ss coilovers, dsp tuned, mpx exhaust, agp hardline with greddy type S bov
04 black srt4 - sold
owned 6 other neons and more to come

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:05 pm

That will def help, but weight reduction will be the best bang for the buck. I dropped .3 seconds off my 1/4 mile time by launching a little better and taking out my rear seats.

Also, I'd recommend the OBX off of ebay also, it's stainless steel unlike the Kirk, and the kirk's header is made out of very thin steel, so it will be a lot louder. You can get a decent high flow cat off of ebay, but I'd recommend finding a magnaflow one. Sport Compact did a comparison on a 150 whp civic, from no cat to high flow there was only a 1hp difference.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

farmboy
1GN Registrant

Post by farmboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:13 pm

thanks for the opinions. the slower times are due to the fact that i've only been to a track 3 times. my times have consistently improved every time i have gone, but there is still much room for improvement. there are some things on the car that need attention, as well as much more practice on my part. thanks for the information.

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 pm

What type of tires are you running? You should try keeping a log book of how you launched, what you did, and what your times ended up being. If you can get .1 off your 60', it usually takes up to .2 off your 1/4 time. So, if you had a 2.2 60', you would have ran a 15.8. My car with a full interior and bolt ons ran a 15.7-15.8 with 2.2 60's.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

farmboy
1GN Registrant

Post by farmboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:01 pm

i'm running on Falken ZIEX 912 tires at 205/45/16 on my factory 2gn R/T rims. the 16.07 i ran, i had the pressure in the front tires down to 20psi.

JaxMadine
1GN Registrant

Post by JaxMadine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Work on your launch. and DO NOT DO A BURNOUT! unless you have slicks. It doesnt do any good for your tyres. and avoid the waterbox.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:35 am

The 16"s could be holding you back some, but still that is way too slow.

I may have failed to see where you said, but is it DOHC or SOHC?

Even with the 16"s you should still be able to get into the low 15s. My '97 DOHC ACR ran 14.83 @ 93mph with less mods and dry-rotted stock-size tires, but was half a second slower with 16" Rota Slipstreams and Kumho 712s.

I'd also consider the TTI header over the Kirk, pretty sure you can still get them from Mancini Racing in Michigan. The TTI is very similar to the Kirk but does not have the restrictive integrated flex coupler. I had a Kirk years ago that I cut the coupler off and had a standard 3-bolt flange welded on as per the recommendation of Jeff B or Eddie Fierro or one of the other old-school gurus. You would need to use some sort of braided-type flex coupler with either the TTI or cut-up Kirk.

You will also have to extend the wires on your downstream O2 sensor if you choose to retain a cat.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

farmboy
1GN Registrant

Post by farmboy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm

It is a DOHC 98 ACR. I just started getting into racing this season, so I'm pretty green when it comes to track time. I was only able to get out on 3 separate occations...with a total of about 20 passes between the 3 track days. I've been looking at the OBX long tube header, (as recommended by INVUJerry), and will probably be picking up one of them very soon. As for the cat, that's more of a need than a want. I'd love to get rid of it, but it needs to stay to keep the car emissions legal here in Ontario...so thanks for the heads up about extending the wires.

As for the times, I'd like to be in the 15's...and I'm close...I am pretty sure that I'll be there next season. I just have to get more seat time. Did I mention that the cat that is on there is fuked at the moment? I keep getting a "cat failure" code. I'm going to replace it with a Magnaflow high flow race cat for the spring.
Work on your launch. and DO NOT DO A BURNOUT! unless you have slicks. It doesnt do any good for your tyres. and avoid the waterbox.
I got that same advice by Chris (Canada) when I first started going to the track...thank you though. I plan on spending a lot of time next year playing with things to get better launches so that I can get better 60ft times.