CEL light with highly modified engine/turbo setups

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
biofury3
1GN n00b

CEL light with highly modified engine/turbo setups

Post by biofury3 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Got a 2.0 sohc. Im in the process of building a hot 2.4 with a custom turbo setup. How do all u guys with the heavily modified engine/turbo setup get around that CEL light? I really want a standalone management system, everyone is recommmending it. but emission laws require stock OEM obd2 computers where i live, they can be modified but not cut out of the car and a completely different system be put in. Is there some type of simulator, modification or wiring rig that can help with my issue?

neon_freak
1GN Registrant

Post by neon_freak » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 pm

if you do it right you shouldnt have a cel
95 strawberry coupe mtx sohc

pacesetter header/catback, sts, boogers, 3.0, atx tb, ported intake, mp ecu, solid bobble strut, magnecor wires

98 white rt coupe mtx 2.4

mopar ecu, egr kit. ur street pulley, mpx 60mm, iceman, msd wires/coil, solid mounts, ractive header, vibrant muffler

old 2.0-145.4hp@6161rpm, 134.5tq@5218rpm

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 am

if you are running MS or have egr blocked off that will be enough to have the CEL on constantly. pull the bulb? lmfao
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

BlueR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by BlueR/T » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 am

If you are running a stand alone piggybacked onto the OEM PCM (i.e. megasquirt) then it is still legal, however you wont pass emissions with the CEL on, and when they do a OBD scan they will see the trouble codes, whether or not you pulled the CEL bulb

what you can do is request an exemption due to the fact that the trouble codes/CEL have nothing to do with malfunctioning emissions equipment

biofury3
1GN n00b

Post by biofury3 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Yeah, i dunno how that exemption thing is gunna work where im at, ive never gone down that road... I wish they used 4 gas analyzer in all vehicles instead of just 95 and below.... I have a 4gas, but its probably pointless trying to take the piggybacks off and DEtune it, wouldnt make s*it of a difference with an obd2 car...

What sytle/model megasquirt system do you guys use or recommend? is it just to handle fuel or spark? Is there such thing as a budget system?

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:35 pm

micro squirt. only handles fuel from what i have read. could be wrong. mega squirt handles fuel and spark. both use the same tuning software however.

and that goes to anyone

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 am

The AEM fic http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=298081

I don't use it, but it's what I'm deciding on between that and the megasquirt. Is not having to pull everything once a year worth the extra price and fewer goodies? Hrm...
I still haven't chosen.

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:34 pm

Emission testing sucks! Really glad we have none of that here. We can modify til we are in debt and no one gives a hoot lol.

Good luck with finding something that won't set off the cel. /cheers

and that goes to anyone