SOHC install?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
PorterzCustomz
1GN n00b

SOHC install?

Post by PorterzCustomz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I did a search but could not find a write up on an aftermarket cam install, did I miss it? I imagine its fairly easy being OHC but it looks tricky getting to the timming belt and cam gear.

Eric
In the beginning the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it cost nothing to be a patriot.

Mark Twain

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 pm

You can use Jeffb's timing belt how to. Grab some booger bushings if you haven't already.
http://jball.neons.org/howto/timing_belt/howto.html
I also really suggest picking up a factory service manual.

When you have the belt off, use that little bolt for leverage to remove the bolt from the cam gear.

If you are putting in something small, you can just remove the valve train tilt the engine and slide it out. If it's a crane 14 or something a trick to doing the springs and keeping the head on the car, while not buying or making a fancy tool is to compress the springs in a vice. Use a couple zip ties to keep the tension. Install them and then either cut the ties or hit them with a torch.

I've never tried that method, but it looks solid to me. :lol:

PorterzCustomz
1GN n00b

Post by PorterzCustomz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. It's a comp cam that will use the stock hardware nothing really big.

What are booger bushings!?

I have to tilt the engine? Do I use a jack on the bottom? Do I have to unbolt all the motor mounts? (I am new to front wheel drive)

I know on my supra all you had to do for a cam was take out a few bolts for the valve covers then take the c looking caps off the top that holds the cam in place then take the center cam bolt out and walla! You could pick them right up. This Neon valve train looks different and more time consuming :shock:
In the beginning the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it cost nothing to be a patriot.

Mark Twain

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:38 pm

The neon vavle train is a little different, since the cam slides into the side of the head. You can't unbolt the very last part where the timing belt goes, it is a little difficult. I would unbolt the side and maybe the front mount if they are stock, and try finding a good lifting point on the motor to raise it up some. Make sure you support the motor BEFORE you un-do the motor mounts.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

PorterzCustomz
1GN n00b

Post by PorterzCustomz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 pm

OMG! HELL YEA RON PAUL 2008!!!!! It's good to see a fellow patriot.

Mark Twain